How to prepare Tomato rice?
- on Feb 20, 2023
What is Tomato Rice?
Tomato rice is a popular and flavorful South Indian dish made from cooked rice, tomatoes, and a blend of aromatic spices. It is a one-pot meal that is easy to prepare and can be served as a main course or as a side dish. This is a quick meal since the cooking time is only half an hour.
Tomato rice is a flavorful and nutritious dish that is suitable for vegetarians and vegans. It can be served on its own or with accompaniments such as raita, salad, or papadum. It is also a great dish for lunch boxes or picnics as it is easy to pack and transport. Here is a simple recipe to make tomato rice:
What are the Ingredients?
1 cup of basmati rice
2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 green chili, slit
1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon of red chili powder (adjust to taste)
1 teaspoon of coriander powder
1 teaspoon of garam masala powder
2 tablespoons of oil
Salt to taste
2 cups of water
How to cook Tomato Rice?
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water and soak it in water for 20 minutes.
- In a deep pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add chopped onion, garlic and slit green chili. Saute until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Stir well and cook for 3-4 minutes until the tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
- Add the soaked rice to the pan and stir well to combine. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is fully cooked and all the water has been absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let it rest for 5-10 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Your delicious tomato rice is now ready to serve! Enjoy it with pickle or papad.