How to make Vegetable Biryani
- on Mar 04, 2023
What is vegetable biryani?
Vegetable biryani is a popular rice dish in Indian cuisine that is made with aromatic basmati rice, mixed vegetables, and a blend of spices. It is a flavorful and healthy dish that is perfect for vegetarians or anyone who wants to enjoy a delicious vegetarian meal.
The vegetables used in the biryani can vary depending on availability and personal preference, but commonly used ones include carrots, peas, potatoes, beans, cauliflower, and bell peppers. The spices used in the biryani may include cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, and garam masala, among others.
The dish is typically cooked in layers, with the vegetables and spices mixed together and then layered with the rice before being steamed until the rice is fully cooked and the flavors have melded together. Some versions may also include fried onions, nuts, or raisins as a garnish.
Vegetable biryani is a filling and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed on its own or as a side dish with other Indian curries and dishes. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make it:
What are the Ingredients?
2 cups basmati rice
3 cups water
2 tbsp oil or ghee
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
2 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
2 cardamom pods
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
Salt to taste
1 cup mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, potatoes, etc.)
1/2 cup yogurt
1/4 cup fresh coriander leaves, chopped
1/4 cup mint leaves, chopped
Fried onions (optional)
How to cook Vegetable Biryani?
- Rinse the basmati rice in cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil or ghee in a large pot over medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook until they are golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste to the pot and cook for a minute.
- Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, bay leaves, cinnamon sticks, and cardamom pods. Cook for a minute until the spices are fragrant.
- Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, and salt. Mix well.
- Add the mixed vegetables and cook for 5-7 minutes until they are slightly tender.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn off the heat and let it sit covered for 5 minutes.
- Mix yogurt, chopped coriander leaves, and mint leaves in a bowl.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and mix in the yogurt mixture.
- Garnish with fried onions (optional) and serve hot.
Your vegetable biryani is ready to be enjoyed! Enjoy with raita (or) onion and yoghurt mixed dish.