How to make Ven Pongal
- on Mar 20, 2023
What is Ven Pongal?
Ven Pongal is a traditional South Indian dish that is made with rice and lentils and is typically served for breakfast or lunch. It is also known as “Khara Pongal” in some regions of South India.
The dish is made by cooking rice and moong dal together with ghee, cumin seeds, black pepper, ginger, green chilies, asafoetida, and curry leaves. Once the rice and dal are cooked, they are seasoned with additional ghee and served hot with chutney or sambar.
Ven Pongal is a flavorful and filling dish that is commonly prepared during festivals like Pongal or Makar Sankranti in South India. It is also considered to be a comfort food and is often served to people who are ill or recovering from an illness. Here’s a simple recipe to make Ven Pongal:
What are the Ingredients?
1 cup rice
1/2 cup split moong dal
4 cups water
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp black pepper
1 inch ginger, finely chopped
2-3 green chilies, chopped
A pinch of asafoetida (thing)
10-12 curry leaves
Salt to taste
How to cook Ven Pongal?
- Wash the rice and moong dal separately in water and keep them aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of ghee in a pressure cooker or a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Add cumin seeds and let them splutter. Then add black pepper, ginger, green chilies, asafoetida, cashews, and curry leaves to the pan and fry for a few seconds.
- Add the washed rice and moong dal to the pan and stir well.
- Add 4 cups of water and salt to the pan and stir well.
- Cover the pressure cooker with a lid and cook the pongal for 3-4 whistles or for about 20-25 minutes on low flame if cooking in a heavy-bottomed pan.
- Once the pressure is released, open the lid and stir the pongal well. Add 1 tbsp of ghee and mix well.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney, sambar or any other side dish of your choice.
Your delicious Ven Pongal is now ready to be served!