How to make Kalkandu Rice (or) Rock Sugar Candy Rice
- on Mar 20, 2023
What is Kalkandu Rice?
Kalkandu Rice is a sweet and traditional South Indian dessert made with rice, milk, and rock sugar candy known as “kalkandu” in Tamil. It is a popular dish served during special occasions and festivals like Pongal, Navratri, and Diwali.
To make Kalkandu Rice, raw rice is cooked in milk and flavoured with cardamom and a pinch of salt. Once the rice is cooked, kalkandu or rock sugar candy is added to the mixture and stirred until it dissolves completely. The kalkandu gives a unique and distinct taste to the dish and adds a subtle sweetness to it.
Kalkandu Rice is usually served warm or chilled and can be enjoyed as a dessert or a snack. It is a nutritious and filling dish that people of all ages love. Here’s a simple recipe to make Kalkandu Rice:
What are the Ingredients?
1 cup raw rice
3 cups milk
1 cup kalkandu (rock sugar candy)
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
2-3 cardamom pods
A pinch of salt
How to cook Kalkandu Rice?
- Rinse the rice in cold water and soak it in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and keep the rice aside.
- Heat ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan and add the drained rice. Roast the rice on low flame for 3-4 minutes until it turns slightly golden.
- Add milk to the rice and let it come to a boil. Then reduce the flame and let the rice cook in milk for 20-25 minutes or until the milk is absorbed and the rice is cooked.
- Crush the cardamom pods and add it to the rice along with a pinch of salt.
- Now add the kalkandu to the rice and stir it well until the kalkandu dissolves completely.
- Cook the rice for 5 more minutes until the kalkandu is well blended with the rice and the mixture becomes thick.
- Turn off the flame and let the kalkandu rice cool down for a while.
- Serve the Kalkandu Rice warm or chilled as per your preference.
Your delicious Kalkandu Rice is now ready to be served!